Thursday, June 29, 2006

Proud to be an American ...where at least I know I'm fat

HEY HEY HEY! I'm back in the USA!

It takes 24 hours to get back no matter how you slice and dice it. These are the hard cold facts. Sure you aren' t actually on a plane for that long...but all the crap in between makes it all add up.

I left Seville on Monday morning on a 730am flight which means I had to be at the airport at 530am which means I slept...pretty much 0 hours the night before. All in all I flew 3 airlines to get to the US and on 2 of them the weight limit for the suitcase was 70lbs and on one 50lbs. 20 lbs is a BIG honkin difference! Pretty uneventful flight and then I got to Madrid. I had about 1.5 hour layovers in each place so that was nice and perfect. The lady I sat next to on the plane from Madrid to London immediately put on her headphones and sunglasses...I took that as a hint to talk to her as much as possible..haha

Once in London I had to go pick up my suitcase and re check in. I've never understood this concept nor will I ever. Do you realize how much I was sweating carrying a back pack, a rolly carry on then a gigantuos suitcase to the ends of the earth and back! And why do I have to go through security AGAIN if I already went through it in the first two airports? Where am I going to pick up a bomb in the meantime?

Man, Londoners are not the friendliest people on the planet. I stopped and asked two people for directions and this is what they said to me in their British accents...

"Just tell me WHAT YOU NEED"
As I'm walking away... " Next time you should really follow the signs."

Ok, JERKO!! I never say anything in these moments and then as soon as I walk away I think of the awesomest comeback to say in the world!!

Like...What I need is a bottle of whiskey and a bed...or maybe you should follow the signs and not drive on the WRONG side of the road...but instead I just smile and walk away.

On the long flight from London to Chicago I sat...in the MIDDLE. This is quite possibly the worst feeling in the world as you are entering a plane and find out your seat is ...in the MIDDLE. I always request a window or aisle seat and this time I plumb forgot. However, everything worked out quite nicely as I sat next to a girl my age and a mother who hated her children. I watched four movies, at some food and the next thing I knew we were in Chi town. Oh, and I had a Spain jersey on so the flight attendant guy kept refering to me as "Miss Spain"

I refused to get on the bus so I took the shouth shore. I even had my suitcase. This is a miracle.

It's always weird coming back and culture shock hits immediately with seeing obese people, ipods, lots of water in toilets, big bananas, and US dollars. There are new ten dollar bills. There has been new money made since I've been home last. Insane.

I haven't been able to stop a moment since I've been home with the rigorous social schedule of my parents. They are the most popular 54 year olds I know!

It's so good to be home and sleep in my own bed....and dream about how Spain should have won the world cup.
SF

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you dont know me. I work with Lyndee in Norway. I read your blog all the time, its halrious. next chistmas, me and some friends were thinking of goign to spain for a week or so, do you know what the best costal town is? or any other recommendations...thanks.

3:45 AM  
Blogger katie holt said...

hey, we've gotta get together when i get back in town. i'm not back until the night of the fourth. but i fly out on the seventh.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home