Saturday, May 31, 2014

Responsiblity

The other day I was having a conversation with my co worker about responsibility for kids.

There is a big cultural difference between USA and Spain when it comes to raising your kids and having them actually DO stuff.

I suppose it depends on the families as well, but I was always brought up to be pretty independent. I had an alarm clock by the first or second grade, I made my own lunches, made my bed, helped set the table, empty dishwasher, etc.

Here, it´s NOT common for kids to do anything. They are CLUELESS when it comes to doing any kind of chores.

My co worker is Spanish but she grew up in USA for many years and she has a ten year old daughter. Her daughter helps out a lot at home, helps clean and wash dishes, empty dishwasher, makes her bed etc. The NORMAL thing any ten year old USA kid would do.

She was telling me how she was like getting into a fight with another mother in her daughter´s class because somehow the topic came up and the mother was absolutely appalled that her daughter had to do all of those things. Her argument was that ¨She would have her whole life to do those things.¨  Um ya, not if you don´t teach her how. They all turn into lazy bums and do not know HOW to do those things because no one ever taught them and they were never expected to do it.

How can it be wrong to teach your child a sense of responsibility and then PRIDE because they are so proud of themselves when they do it. N is now four and she is at the age where she loves to help out. She helps set the table and just anything we ask of her she is so happy to help with. This week I started having her make her bed and she loves it!

I am going to slowly start adding more things in for her to do on the ¨chore¨ list.

It´s good for them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home