Thursday, June 09, 2011

Death and all of his friends.

We buried my grandma yesterday. She's in the ground in a pearl white casket with a drawer full of letters written by her loved ones.

She couldn't have picked a hotter day. We were all sweating at the burial sight. I think she was comfortable. She's in heaven now with Jesus so I'm sure the temperature there is always just right.

I bought a plane ticket on Wednesday, got to IN on Thursday, and she passed on Saturday. I was able to say goodbye although she wasn't able to communicate when I got to the hospital. I still think she heard me. My brother was able to fly in and say goodbye too. It's like she was waiting on everyone. She was always so considerate.

I haven't been to a funeral in over ten years and I've forgotten how incredibly draining they are. Physically and emotionally. Exhausting.

The upside: it was like Thanksgiving in June. The last Thanksgiving I was able to spend in IN was in 2004 and the majority of my cousins I hadn't seen since then. It's interesting how it takes a wedding or a funeral to get the whole family together. I prefer weddings.

My grandma had 8 children, 21 grandchildren, 28 great grandchildren and 2 great-great grandchildren. She knew and loved us all.

I still can't believe she's gone and we've been talking about this moment for a long time. She survived cancer four times. Who does that? My gma, that's who! The worst part;my grandfather is left behind. They would have been married sixty five years on the 10th. That's a long time to be with someone! My grandfather is not an emotional person and had only told her he loved her twice in their whole marriage. Until recently. Every time I walked into her hospital room he was saying, " I Love you mother" it made me want to scream and ask God to not take her home just yet. But, He needed her. Maybe He needed her to teach Him some new card tricks or maybe he needed some more laughter up there. Either way, it was her time to go. None of us are ever ready for it. Our hearts ache with hurt and we MISS them so much but she's happy, she's well and she will always be loved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home