Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ode to Shel

So, summer school has begun. Today I only had two kids, the rest of the week I will have four and next week thirteen. It´s over 100º so ya, summer is officially here.

Today I had two girls in my class and I think one is a bit snooty. The last hour we were watching finding Nemo and to translate she basically said, ¨When are we going to do something else because I´m so over this.¨ So translating I basically said, ¨Sweetie, you are seven, get over yourself and sit your little white ass down.¨ I´m pretty sure she loves me.

So, next week I have to do some sort of play with the kids so of course I thought of Shel Silverstein. I think he´s quite possibly one of the most brilliant childrens books writers to ever have walked the face of this earth and thank the Lord I grew up reading his poems.

So, in honor of summer school..this one is for you Shel- A classic.


Where the Sidewalk Ends

There is a place where the sidewalk ends
And before the street begins,
And there the grass grows soft and white,
And there the sun burns crimson bright,
And there the moon-bird rests from his flight
To cool in the peppermint wind.
Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black
And the dark street winds and bends.
Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends.
Yes we'll walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends.

Shel Silverstein

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home