Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Who cut the cheese?

I have a fear of knives. I took a cooking class I believe it was called ¨home ec¨in seventh grade and I cut my finger while washing a knife. Who does that?? Ever since then I´ve been completely traumatized. It seems like here in Spain I have to work a lot harder to eat my food. Everything needs to be sliced, picked, seeded, pruned....you name it...you gotta do it. Let´s take sunflower seeds for example. In the states you just buy a bag of the seeds and call it a day. There´s no work involved, just opening the bag. The last time I checked that was a pretty simple task. Not here. There is an ART to eating sunflower seeds. They come with the shell. You bite once at the top, once at the bottom, and gently scoop out the tiny seed with the tip of your tongue. It´s actually quite amazing watching people do it. There should be a spot in the Olympics for this. (I´m horrible at it by the way). I guess it keeps the pounds off because I get tired of doing this after eating about two, plus my tongue feels like I´ve licked a salt block.

Anyways, back to cheese. So, tonight at the dinner table I was thinking, wow, I´d really like a slice of that blocked cheese. So, they passed it to me and with this 5 cent cheap knife I could not cut it! It was like trying to cut bone with a plastic knife. It had this hard plastic covering on it so I just kept sawing away and in the meantime the whole family is staring at me like ¨Who doesn´t know how to cut the cheese?¨ So, I kept trying and a few seconds later it flung out of my hands and hit Antonio´s dad. Nice. I hate cheese.

I was tired today. I haven´t slept in what seems like ages because of a little thing called ¨botellón.¨ What the heck is botellón you may ask? Let me explain. About 14 years ago people decided, hey, wouldn´t it be fun to just drink alcoholic beverages in the streets, turn up our music really loud, throw things at peoples cars, deprive anyone that goes to bed before 5am of any good sleep what so ever, and yell obscenities into the navy sky at 4am?? It´s unbelievable. You wouldn´t believe it unless you saw it. I remember first coming here and I was like ¨Whoa has there been an accident?¨ That´s what it would remind you of because there are ALL of these people just standing around, but unlike an accident there is no one in the middle of the circle with an apendage missing. So, the thing that is crazy is that no one can do anything about it. If you called the police they would just laugh and eat another donut.

I painted a bird house today, it was quite relaxing. We are turning into quite the farmers. Antonio built and incubator and it´s in his room with 15 chics waiting to hatch. Weird. Also, we have two bunnies (i´ve never had to clean up so much poop in my life), 1 dog, 2 parakeets, one canary, chickens, other assorted birds, and a partridge in a pear tree. (Not all in the house by the way). I´ve always been baffled by the small hole in birdhouses. How do the birds FIT in the hole let alone raise their family in that so called ¨house?¨ Talk about a buzz kill.

I´m out, like a fat kid in dodge ball.

Still learning to cut the cheese,
Sara